Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Around here

Hey, friends. Who'd think that a child half-day at a kindergarten plus a baby at home, plus a couple of extra activities/clubs/music lessons/sport lessons after noon would use up the most of my day. I'm not even talking chores and all the rest about grocery shopping, cooking, gardening etc. I'm happy if I get some bites of work done here and there. Only some bites. Mostly interrupted.

So what? If I cannot change things, I change my attitude, as some wiser folks have told long time ago. Yes, I'm gonna play LEGO, and yes, we're gonna mess paint in studio, read books as if there're no tomorrow, and take time to make it all again and again even if it means no decent working for myself in days. My baby boy will get fun stuff to read as well, to see, to hear and to play with, to get out to see his little buddies, we're gonna take walks (rainy or not).

And yes, I do spend my time cooking instead of grabbing some ready-made meals to save time, and take less work time into account - we cook seasonally, with local products, more fish, less meat (most lamb)  - I try to take responsibility for what we're consuming/eating/buying, for what my children learn to do in their free time, to have less, but something meaningful, to be inventive to fill the gaps, to be sensitive for cheap/bling-bling stuff and avoid it as far as possible, to be spare, to make things with hands. The list is going on - everything and anything about sustainability, about esteem for other people's work, about significance of work, respect and awe for craftsmanship - and it's challenging and thrilling to see my little girl adopting those attitudes - something that I truly enjoy right now and wouldn't like to miss. It's working well, my friends. It's working pretty well, all you need is time.

And it takes time. LOT of time. And I have less time to work (but I still do work, that's important). And I accept it. This is life, and we're pretty lucky to have what we have. So now it's about my children learning to take roots to become sane and sound personalities. 

P.S. A preview of an upcoming mixed technique project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment