Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Styrofoam mosaic balls - DIY deco tutorial

Recently I got those bad boys and that sparkled another mosaic idea - styrofoam balls. I think the frame/mosaic theme isn't over, but a bit of change wouldn't harm. Well, these ones are something which is not useful in any way,  and that's why that might be not quite my cup of tea at first appearance, but I enjoyed doing them. 

It's been more tricky as I would have expected, there've been a couple of moments I was THAT close to wave the white flag, and had to start all over again. Not that it's difficult, by all means it's NOT, but you need to be patient and attentive. The tutorial I show you today is about the easiest part - setting the mosaics - which takes maybe about ten percent of time and effort put into the whole project. 

The tricky one was working with plaster, then sanding and then getting the acceptable finish.  Styrofoam, mosaic AND plaster aren't the materials that do a smooth marriage. It's not impossible, as you see, but you'd better be prepared to screw up a couple of them before it runs. And once it runs smoothly, it's pure JOY making them.

Anyway it was the pilot project, they are pretty decorative and eye catching, and I have to figure out what to do with them now and how to turn it into something more easy-going and kind-friendly. 

UPDATE: my little girl hasn't participated, but maybe after I get to understand the materials better we could try out the Eastern eggs in that technique.











No comments:

Post a Comment