Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Tutorial "Children make art" - Fish collage

Welcome to the new label "Children make art". 

It has been a while, since I‘ve started tutoring children (3-4 y.) and making with them fun little arty projects. It was not very clear a couple of months ago at the beginning, what we would do and how, what they would love and be able to learn/make, how long they can stay interested etc.etc.etc. 

There‘re also some constraints because of the place and furniture that are disposable, that means abstract splash painting wouldn‘t be possible, at least till I maybe find some solution. Working big is not possible either, so for now I‘m restricting myself to little projects that are not messy, but fun, and easy to follow, and offer something besides of simple colouring and paper works.

The most mess is actually made at my studio place preparing for the workshop – painting backgrounds, gluing big, more painting, cutting. I make a lot of "learning by doing", in life in general, and with children as well, so I simply started those workshops with no particular guiding line, and work on them as they go.  It took me quite some workshops to figure out what makes fun for both of us – my objective being that children can learn some fun'n'easy techniques, get introduced to new ways of making/seeing/crafting, whatever, you name it, that they realise a fun nice piece of art and that I‘m happy with all the work I‘ve made for preparing it and teaching (I'd rather say crafting) with them.

My point is for now developping some FUN'n'EASY projects that have some nice results at the end, and that are right now not so messy, because of constraints above. I work a lot in mixed technique, I love it, and I try to sensibilize kids for that. I love also messy approach, but here I need to find a suitable place first. And I also have my own purpose for myself – while preparing this or that project I test lot of fun techniques, I would otherwise keep postponing for later, and preparing a dozen of kits let me play around and vary something for each of them, so that I'm quite free and unconcerned about being perfect from the first brush stroke.

I up-cycle the packaging boards (corrugated inside), work with acrylic paint and in the next months I‘d like to introduce children to art of making collages in mixed technique, using all sort of materials susceptible for composing simple recognisable objects based on simple shapes. 

Here‘s  the first one I‘m sharing here.

1. FUN PART - Preparing background: cutting card boards (appr. 20 x 30 cm), painting them – basecoat loosely paint in aqua (mix different blue shades with white, use large brush), the next layer – light cobalt, applied with a roller, so that the aqua layer underneath shimmers through. Next layer is very light blue paint (white paint barely teinted with a drop of blue) applied with bubble foil.

2. FAST PART  - I‘ve taken different scraps of fabric – the point is taking DIFFERENT qualities – linen, cotton, corduroy, wool, silver organza – the more the better.  They have been glued onto middle weight paper, to cut them easily in shapes afterwards.  Let them dry thouroughly before cutting.

3. LONG PART - Cutting – to make LOTS of different flakes for the fish. You have to cut the head parts and some tails as well. Don't be perfect, draw them loosely on the paper side and cut them fast, otherwise it can really get boring. Perfect flakes make a perfect boring fish. Cut fast and let yourself be unregular.

4. SCHLUSS -  Make a sample. Draw a simple big fish shape on your card board. Place a tail and glue it first. Next come flakes.  Go towards the head, lightly OVERLAPPING the flakes in each row. Lightly, not much, we do not your fish look like a porcupine fish. Try to imitate the flaky fish skin. Glue the head at last and put a little punched black circle onto it – the eye. Make a little white dot on it with oil stick (not on photos). We‘re done!











Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment